This has been driving me NUTS. So I did a ton of testing and boy am I glad I did, because I got a "assign 30 dweller's" objective. These are tested from a kind of "how I think it is coded" sort of way if that makes sense. So here is what I have found:
- When the objective is given to you, all dwellers can be assigned to a room only ONCE. That means if you assign them and get the objective credit, they are done.
- Even if a person is already in a room they like, it is possible to get their "point" towards the objective, if you swap their clothing which would make a different stat higher, changing the room they would find as the "best fit"
- Training rooms of the SPECIAL type count as that type of best fit room
- Residence rooms do not seem to count for charisma.
- People exploring and on "coffee break" can simply be assigned to the room of choice easy peasy. That makes having a high number of coffee break and exploring people desirable as this quest seems to provide lunch boxes. 30 is my personal highest on the objective with a population of 135. I'm sure it goes higher, I'm not even a quarter way to the bottom of the world in rooms yet...
- If you have a person with say, 8 strength in the power room, and can't get clothing to surpass his strength changing his room, you must train his other skills higher, this will allow his room to change, and therefore allow him to get the objective point for you.
It is possible I am missing some things. I have one more theory I would like to test but have not been able to and can't until I get the objective again. So, if any of you get it, please test this and I would appreciate it :D
- When you get the objective, a dweller already in their best fit room may have the ability to change rooms with different outfit. To help me understand the "logic" in game. Move them to the wrong room, change their clothing to that room which would then make that room their "best fit" room, and see if you get the point. If YOU DON'T, then put their old outfit on and move them back. If you still don't, then I would want you to put on the other outfit again, changing their room, and move them to that room. That should get them the point if my findings are indeed accurate.
Thanks a lot folks!
Bad news. I got the achievement again. This time I tried my theory out, no matter what. Some people who were already in their best room just would not count if I changed their stats. Some changes however seemed random. There is a possibility that their base normal stats come into play over their altered stats by gear. Frankly I'm tired of trying to figure this one out. If anyone makes some concrete ground breaking finding please share. Sorry for any misleading info I'll leave my previous list incase it helps anyone.