I know that Mr. Handy will pick up caps when on walkabout; will he also pick up weapons and/or outfits?
Ok, let's see what Mr. Handy can do:
- He can collect resources from the floor he's assigned to
- He can be used as helper in case of room emergencies (fires, bugs, rat moles)
- He can be used as defender when raiders or deathclaws attack. Advantages are that he's tough, he doesn't count as a dweller so you can have now 7 defenders in one room, he'll travel to the room automatically (if it's on his floor), so you don't have to assign him manually, like a dweller
- He can explore the Wasteland but can only collect caps (but he's very good at collecting caps)
- He doesn't gain experience (doesn't levels up)
- He cannot be healed with stimpacks
- He can die
- He can be revived using caps exactly like a dweller (but costs around 2000 caps)
- He is vault specific. Cannot be shared between your vaults.
That's pretty much it about Mr Handy.
TL/DR: Mr. Handy cannot pick loot while exploring, only caps.