The GBA SP charger I have is from France. On it it says 230V-50Hz, does that mean that I can't plus it in the USA without a transformer (I have an adapter that is only converting the plug's pin shape).

  • What do you mean dual voltage?
    – Aequitas
    Aug 21, 2015 at 3:54
  • I think I know what you mean, usually I think it'd be the adapter that would handle either voltage not the Game Boy itself. If your adapter says something like 120-230V - 50Hz then it can support both
    – Aequitas
    Aug 21, 2015 at 3:59
  • Thank you! That's what dual voltage adapters usually say "110 - 240V". Only this one doesn't! I got another US one from eBay. Aug 21, 2015 at 5:06
  • you can buy a "Voltage Converter" that will make 230v work on 110v mains
    – Aequitas
    Aug 21, 2015 at 5:17
  • I thought about this... It turns out that a US adapter cost me less than 10 dollars and is also of Nintendo brand, therefore I chose to buy a Nintendo adapter rather than a third-party product. Thanks to all the people who answered. Aug 21, 2015 at 7:57

1 Answer 1


If the power adapter is specifically labelled as a 230v, it would be unwise to directly plug it in to a 110v plug, such as those in the USA.

You have the option to use a transformer to convert from 110v to 230v, or you could simply purchase another GBA power adapter in the United States.

I double checked on google and found this post from 2005, on tomshardware.com, from a user trying to do the reverse (American GBA in Europe).

The power adapters are different, but the connection to the GBA should be the same. If you can find a cheap power adapter in the states, it should already be regulated for 110v, and will work properly with your GBA SP.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .