I have been playing fallout 4 for a while now but even with perks to find more ammo I never get 5mm rounds for my minigun. Does anyone know a good place/ dungeon /glitch to find 5mm rounds in any quantity. (I am up to the dimond city quest on the Campaign)
There is a glitch/exploit I found to get a lot of 5mm ammo. What you need is to have a minigun and just 1 unit of 5mm ammo. Go to the location inhabited by raiders kill one of them and put minigun and 1 unit of ammo into his inventory, step back and wait for his friends to come. Eventually one of them will come to the body and grab minigun from it. Wait for him to unleash it then kill him and loot his body. Although it looks like he still has only 1 5mm ammo in his inventory you actually receive a good deal of it (what you usually get from regular oponent with minigun - 300-600 from one corpse). Repeat this as much time as there are enemies nearby. It would be great to come in power armor as sometimes raiders need time to realize they can get minigun and they will still shoot you from their other weapon for some time. Also I didn't check but I believe that
1) You can use this to get any kind of ammo (e.g. missiles for rocket launcher and probably even mininukes for fatmen though I doubt about the latter as opponents usually have 1 minunuke at max)
2) Most likely this should work for any humanoid capable of carrying a weapon (gunner, synth, supermutant, non-feral ghoul)
According to the Fallout 4 Wiki, 5mm rounds can be found in the following locations:
- Bought from vendors, from level 24 on the amount increases drastically.
- Found in military outposts.
- The abandoned satellite dish right next to Sanctuary
Includes 1 fusion core, 1 minigun with 600+ rounds, and ammo box with 15+ rounds.