This seems to be a new issue because I can't find anything on the web that helps me out. I recently got a new computer and decided to download Dark Souls on it (The first one). It installed perfectly fine, no bumps or anything. Load the game, says performing first time set up and goes away relatively quickly. Game launches in windowed mode and only shows a white screen. Everything else works fine on my computer. It doesn't seem like the application is not responding because the "X" to close the window responded instantly. I tried to run it through the beta mode because that is how it ran successfully on my old computer. I tried to find some settings to maybe get it out of windowed mode but no luck (Couldn't find the file).
If you're running the game on a laptop with an integrated graphics card, try the following steps (taken from Steam user Iro's comment here):
- Right-click on your desktop, then open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Head to "Manage 3D Settings" > Program Settings > Select Dark Souls (darksouls.exe), or add it if it isn't there.
- Select the preferred graphics processor for the program: "Integrated Graphics"
- Launch the game -- it should start properly now.
- In the menu PC Settings, change it to Fullscreen and select your resolution
- Quit the game
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel again and this time select High-performance NVIDIA Processor
The game should now run as expected!