Let's say I buy a game. And after a few months, the bundle that contains the game (e.g. all games from specific publisher or developer or franchise) go on sale and I wish to buy that bundle. What happens to that game? is it removed from the bundle and I not pay for it? Do I get charged twice? Do I get the game as a gift?
Per Steam's page, you will receive an extra copy meeting the following conditions:
Extra copies will only be issued as a special promotion in the following specific cases:
- Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.
- Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.
- Users who own "Dawn of War II"and then go on to purchase "Dawn of War II Gold Edition" will receive an extra copy of "Dawn of War II"
- Users who purchase the available four packs for specific Steam titles will receive three extra copies of that title to gift to friends.
- Extra copies may apply as a part of some limited time promotions. In that case, information on what will be included with your purchase will be listed on the storefront's transaction page.
These special promotions will allow you to send a gift pass for your extra copy to a friend who does not already own the game. These promotion do not apply to any games other than those specifically listed.
Steam will normally tell you if you will get an extra copy (or if you won't) when the bundle is in the cart - this is the surest way to know before you buy it.