After a toxic fallout event, most of the animals in the area died.

Is it safe to butcher and eat them? Will this poison my colonists?


1.0 Answer

The game has been updated such that animals (and pawns, I suppose) that die with large amounts of toxic buildup are instantly rotten. (I think it's anything more than 50% or so, but I can't find hard data about this)

The answer then becomes, "You can't" because your pawns will never butcher a rotted corpse.


It is safe to eat and will not poison/kill your colonists

This question struck me during my last toxic storm but all the animals died before I could test it.

I recreated the toxic storm with the help of the debugger, built a small shelter for my colonists and destroyed all the current food. Once the first animal, a boar, died, I ended the storm and began the cooking process. I've linked the images of the process below.

I was expecting some stat on the meat or the meal to indicate a potential toxins but there where none. After the colonist/test subject ate the meal he had no negative side effect. I'll be running a test for 2 days in game to see if anything develops. If it does I will post it here but I am doubtful.

Toxic Food - Sorry for the double screens, my comp is acting up and I can't be asked to wait 3 hours in paint.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.