I just installed Fallout 4 via Steam and Fallout.exe is missing from Steam/steamapps/common/Fallout 4.
I'm able to start the game from Steam and it opens the launcher. When I click Play, though, the launcher closes for a moment before restarting. This repeats forever and is common enough to have been asked on Reddit.
I figured it was the same launcher loop problem others were having so I tried to fix it using this video. That's when I noticed Fallout4.exe was missing (but Fallout4Launcher.exe is not).
I've tried the following:
- Verifying the integrity of the game cache
- Reinstall Fallout 4
- Running Steam as Administrator
- Running Fallout4Launcher.exe as Administrator
- Enroll in beta (version 1.6)
- I got stuck in the launcher loop again but, when I checked the game folder, it had Fallout4.exe. I tried to run it directly and Windows said it wasn't there anymore so I refreshed the folder and it was gone.
I don't have any mods installed. I'm on 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise, SP 1.
I could only find this thread on Bethesda's forum but this shouldn't have anything to do with activating the purchase. I bought it through Steam and was never prompted for any additional verification like entering a CD key.