I have a new PS3 hard drive. I put the 4.80 software on a USB flash drive then in my ps3 but it won't read it. Is there any way I can formatted my hard drive for my PS3?
You can install the System Software on the HDD by using the Safe Mode. To access the Safe Mode, follow this steps:
- Turn off the console (make sure that the indicator light is red).
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, until the console turn itself off.
- Release the power button.
- Press and hold the power button until you hear two short beeps, then release the button.
- Connect your controller via USB and press the PS button.
You should be able to see this screen:
Select the option called "Restore PS3 System" (number 5), and you will be asked to insert an USB with the System Software:
NOTE: If "Restore PS3 System" does not work, select "System Update" and try again.
You can get this file and instructions on Sony's Website.
Once you have inserted the USB drive, press Start and Select at the same time.
If everything went OK, you should see the following:
Now just wait for the process to complete, this will take between 5 to 20 minutes.
At the end, you should see the welcome screen for the PS3.
You're going to have to format the hard drive to a FAT32 on the PC first before you can use it on the PS3.