We pre-ordered No Man's Sky on Steam. After five minutes of excellent gameplay, my husband went into the in-game settings and dropped the resolution to (I think) 1280 x 960, and this resulted in an out-of-range message on the monitor.
It probably should be noted at this point that, while the computer itself has been souped up with a solid-state hard drive and Nvidia graphics card - GTX 970, I think - it's hooked up to two older monitors, one of which is widescreen and one 4:3. I can't be a lot more specific - this is my husband's baby. Also, it's hooked up so both monitors display the same image. Don't ask me why: please refer to this being my husband's baby. The Windows desktop resolution is set to 1280:768.
I have tried:
- deleting the save files
- starting NMS in offline mode
- deleting local content from Steam and redownloading the game
- going in to TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML and changing settings per this post
- going in to the above file and messing with the resolution and FPS and dropping them to as low as 800:600 and 14.
- hooking up the newer monitor from our main computer
And I am unable to resolve this. It sounds like it's playing (I get the background music and everything), but I can't see a darn thing because both monitors display a No Signal/Out of Range error.
What is left to try?