In the city state interface under Suzerain benefits, the last item listed is something like "control the city state's resources". It then lists the resources that the city state has, including bonus resources (e.g wheat and cattle). How does this work? Will extra food or production be distributed amongst my cites? I understand how strategic and luxury resources would work since those operate in a global fashion, but not bonus resources.
Here are the bonuses from being a Suzerain as listed in the wiki:
- The city-state follows you into war and peace with other players.
- Your units may enter city-state lands.
- Your Builder units may improve city-state tiles.
- See 3 tiles around the city-state.
- Can pay Gold to temporarily take control of the city-state's military.
- Gain ownership of all the city-state's resources.
- Not listed but you are also give their unique bonus for being their Suzerain. All the city states and their unique bonuses are listed -> here.
You specifically asked about the last one, gaining ownership. This is the same as it was in prior Civ games. By being the suzerain you get the luxury and strategic resources that they have. The luxury ones provide amenities (if you don't already have that resource), and strategic ones can be used for the corresponding units.
In no Civ games including this one do you ever get food/production resources from being the Ally/Suzerain of a city state. They just list that you control all resources, but the excess bonus resources do not give you anything as they are for providing bonus production/food on specific tiles.