Short answer: Yes you can send xbox video through a chromecast, but you need a PC with Windows 10.
Here are the screenshots / walkthrough on how I set this up. As I mentioned above, you need a PC running Windows 10, Xbox App logged into on the PC with the same gamertag as on your xbox (comes built in, but be sure to have the latest update), chrome installed, and the chromecast addon installed.
- Once that is done, click on the Chromecast button in Chrome
- Click on the
Cast to drop down
- The Dropdown should automatical change back to the Chromecast selection page. Note that it should now say
Cast desktop and click on the desired target chromecast.
- Select a dedicated monitor that you want to cast to that Chromecast (I have three monitors currently connected, thats why it shows 3 screens), make sure Share Audio is checked, and then click Share.
Note: Once you start streaming you will see this on your main monitor and will have the ability to stop streaming that desktop at anytime:
- On that same screen that you selected to share to your Chromecast, open the Xbox App, click on the
≡ symbol in the top left to expand the menu, and click on Connection.
- Make sure your Xbox is in this list, select Connect, and then Stream. If your Xbox is not on this list, try clicking Add a Device and search for your Xbox (must be on the same network as your PC). You can have a Xbox controller connected to your PC, but it is not required. If you don't have a Xbox controller connected to the PC when you click stream, it will give you a message saying one is not connected - just click continue.
Your Chromecast should now have video and Audio from your Xbox. As I mentioned in the comments above, this solution has 1-2 seconds of input lag from your controller - not making it a reasonable solution for gaming - however, I did watch a few videos and I did not experience any video / audio syncing issues. Therefore, this is a decent solution for just streaming video from your Xbox (netflix, youtube, etc).
Picture of desktop that is streaming from the Xbox App:
Picture of TV that has a Chromecast connected to:
Picture of just Chromecast plugged in: