I recently got a new computer and I have CS:GO installed. Thing is, in order to play competitive you're basically required to have a microphone and I don't want to ask my parents because they just bought a £1000 computer. However, I have some old earphones which have a perfectly good microphone but I want to hear the sound through my speakers which are built in. My earphones only have one output wire so I can't just not plug in the speaker one. I was asking here to see if there were some setting i could change in the console when I press "`" which would allow this to happen.

closed as off-topic by Frank, pinckerman, Timmy Jim, Vemonus, Schism Dec 29 '16 at 21:02

  • This question does not appear to be about videogames or videogame consoles within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 5
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's about generic computer configuration, not gaming. – Frank Dec 29 '16 at 19:15
  • If so then could you point me to where I could ask this question? – Alphex Dec 29 '16 at 19:44
  • perhaps Super User? though I would word your question more towards how to use the headphone mic on the computer in general. It may get closed if you leave the question as is since its specifically for a video game. – Timmy Jim Dec 29 '16 at 19:48

Your computer may not support a 4 conductor jack (3 conductor is standard for audio; 4th conductor is newer for use in smartphones and such).

If that's the case, plugging it into the speakers wouldn't have made the mic work anyways. Instead, you'd want to plug the headphones into the mic jack.

I'd like to point out that playing with your speakers instead of headphones isn't recommended. It's harder to tell where sounds come from; people will swear quite a bit and if there are others in your house it may annoy them; and your teammates might hear themselves talking/annoying feedback on the mic coming back through your speakers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.