I just started Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and apparently I'm so bad that I can't even win the mock battle against the USS Republic. After reading the manual closely, I figured out the controls and can last about 30 seconds in a battle with the Republic before being defeated. My methodology so far is:
- Arm shields
- Arm weapons
- Turn on target analysis (can't figure out what this actually does)
- Figure out where the ship is using the ship position monitor
- Turn to face it (using the mouse)
- Unload phasers at long range and photon torpedoes at short range
- If I survive my first encounter and can't see the ship anymore, tell Scotty to repair the shields (if those are fixed, then stuff below it won't get damaged, right?)
- Repeat steps 5-7
Invariably what happens is that I'm chasing the Republic, then it turns to face me and unloads its weapons. I continue to unload my weapons (like the "Fire Everything!" scene in Wrath of Khan), but it seems they always destroy the Enterprise (or at least, that's what the simulation says).
I figure that if I can't beat the USS Republic in a mock battle, there's no way that I can beat the real enemies in the game. How do I beat it? Or is this supposed to be a Kobayashi Maru no-win scenario?