In order to research Theology, it says I need 35 manuscripts, costing 51.98k furs, but I can only hunt for about 800 at a time and furs get used up over time so I can't stockpile them. What can I do to get this research done?
The easiest approach is to simply not trying to stockpile furs.
Hunt, then turn the furs into parchment and wait for catpower to recover. Repeat until you have the required amount of parchment.
An easy way to get a positive amount of furs is to build a tradepost. This will decrease the demand by 4%. This doesn't stack, but is 4% over the new number every time:
level 1 tradepost: demand 100 - 4% = 96 demand
level 2 tradepost: demand 96 - 4% = 92.16 demand
Add to this the option to send out hunters - more means faster hunting. You will eventually gather faster then you are consuming it.
If you want to gather even more furs and other luxurious items I suggest creating the mint building. In exchange for catpower and gold it will create furs and ivory.
- You don't need to store all these furs at once. That is, you can accumulate catpower, then hunt and craft parchments immediately, so only leftover parchment gets consumed. However, luxuxy resource consumption increases happiness and kitten productivity, which may actually benefit you more than the fur consumed. As a rule of thumb, luxury consumption is worth it if you have bolas and bows (or paragon), in particular if happiness is below 100%.
- if you choose to consume fur as luxury resource, you can reduce its consumption with trade posts.
- You can boost hunting returns with the appropriate workshop upgrades.
- You can boost the production of crafted resources (such as parchment and manuscripts) by building more workshops.
- You can increase catpower production by assigning more kittens as hunters.