Ok, I have an odd little question.

I'm sure that I've played a number of video games with this kind of stylized 2D background, though I can't think of an good example for the life of me (I tried, promise):

Instead of a single background image, this kind of background has several 2D images stacked on top of each other. If you move a little left or right, the images shift a just a little bit accordingly. You might see a little more of one image or another, but the overall effect is to create a kind of 2D depth of vision, like a paper diorama.

That isn't the best description, but hopefully gets the memory across.

So, my question: Does this kind of background have a name?

  • Hmm. Either our terminology tag is incomplete, or we should take another look at this meta. Nov 8 '17 at 18:22

It's called Parallax scrolling.

Parallax scrolling, also known as "Asymmetrical scrolling",[citation needed] is a technique in computer graphics and web design, where background images move by the camera slower than foreground images, creating an illusion of depth in a 2D scene and adding to the immersion.[1] The technique grew out of the multiplane camera technique used in traditional animation[2] since the 1930s. Parallax scrolling was popularized in 2D computer graphics and video games by the arcade games Moon Patrol[3][4] and Jungle Hunt,[5] both released in 1982. Some parallax scrolling had earlier been used by the 1981 arcade game Jump Bug.[6]

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.