When I use alt+tab on a fullscreen game to go back to the Desktop in Windows 10, most of the time the screen goes black. It doesn't happen all the time which is makes this even more confusing. It also turns black sometimes after exiting the game. I have a single monitor and an Nvidia Graphics card. Some things I've found about this:
- I can press alt+tab again and it comes back to the game
- I can press Windows+P two or three times and Enter to blindly try to switch to multiple monitors setup, doing two or three times gets me back to the desktop
- I can unplug and plug again the HDMI cable and it gets me back to the desktop
- It also happens if I try to press alt+enter to get the game to go to windowed mode
It has happened to me in the games Overwatch, Destiny2, DragonAge Origins and the Final Fantasy XV Demo, so I'm pretty sure it's a general error when going fullscreen.
Here's some research I've done for similar problems.
- This thread in Steam forums talk about something similar in several games on Windows 7 due to the monitor set to 59hz by default. I checked and mine is set to 60hz.
- This thread in Nvidia forums talk about this problem in GTA and they solve it by renaming the executable to something other than gta_sa.exe. This I haven't tried since I open the games from the Steam/Blizzard launchers.
Is there a way to solve this?
Update Here are the things I've tried and haven't worked:
- Updating Nvidia Drivers
- Switching refresh rate to 59Hz
Edit 2018-12-18 It's been a long time since I asked this question. Both Windows 10 and Nvidia Drivers had several updates since then and now I don't have this problem anymore. But I did used fullscreen windowed mode when available until I found the problem fixed itself so I'll mark that as the answer.