My TV does not have a cable in for my Atari. Is there a device that converts from RF coax or UHF to HDMI or other common ports found on flat screens? Is there a aftermarket console that can play the game by the cartridge or use a medium like a VCR?

  • 1
    I believe that some capture units may be able to do this, though unsure which. – nailbones Apr 1 '18 at 3:45
  • Would a cable box work? Back in the day we used a VCR, but nothing has inputs anymore... – Mazura Apr 1 '18 at 18:17
  • @Mazura can you show me how it is used on a vcr in an answer? This is good, – Muze the good Troll. Apr 1 '18 at 18:24
  • I'm pretty sure they stopped making VCR's before HDMI came out, so that's moot. A VCR could get you from RF to RCA, but then you have to get from RCA to HDMI somehow. The key piece of tech, which you won't find in a dumpster, is a device with an input (of any kind) and an HDMI out. E.g., a cable box (but not sure that even works) – Mazura Apr 1 '18 at 18:35
  • 2
    Adding my vote in support of reopening this, as this can objectively and definitively be answered with the right adapter type, without going into details of specific name brands or recommendations. – Gigazelle Jun 19 '18 at 23:27

There are devices that can "tune" into RF Analog signal and convert it to HDMI, for example, this one on Amazon.

It's kinda expensive though if you're going to use it just for playing Atari 2600 games...


Do you specifically need to play the original cartridges or are you OK with just the games?

Atari is releasing a modernized console-like system called the Ataric VCS. It's not out yet, but you can read the details on the Wiki page.

  • ideally i would like to have the Atari and cartilages on view – Muze the good Troll. Apr 1 '18 at 16:47
  • 1
    You can just display them. Getting the originals to work is very, very expensive compared to getting an emulator. – Nelson Apr 5 '18 at 7:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.