I've recently purchased the Payday 2 Ultimate Edition on Steam. While playing the game, it unexpectedly crashes (quite often). Looking at the crashlog.txt file found in my AppData folder, every crash seems to be caused by the "access violation" error. I've read around on the internet and found some articles, such as this one, that suggests some things to try. So far, I've tried the following:
- Verify the integrity of the game files on Steam
- Reinstall the game
- Run the game as administrator
- Run the game in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (my computer runs Windows 10)
- Update my Graphics Driver to the latest version (nVidia 398.11)
- A render file trick pointed out in this Steam Post
- Turning on the "Use HQ Weapons" option in the video settings of the game
- Added my Payday 2 Steam folder to the exception list for my antivirus
- Adjusted various graphical settings across multiple sessions
I do not have any mods, nor did I ever have any, since I only just got the game for PC. The crashes occur mostly during game play, but it has crashed once while in the menu of the game as well.
What can been done to resolve this issue? The issue occurs enough times to make the game nearly unplayable.