Sometimes the victory/defeat screen has the game board behind it in full color:

Full color Victory! screeen Full color Defeat! screen

Sometimes the game board is desaturated, almost but not quite grayscale:

Desaturated Victory! screen Desaturated Defeat! screen

(All screenshots are from playing a Tavern Brawl on the Android version of Hearthstone; the fourth is from a phone instead of a tablet hence the layout variation, but this doesn't seem to account for the difference.)

What's the logic behind this?

Disproven hypotheses:

  • It can't be exclusively whether you won or lost; as illustrated above all four combinations are possible.
  • It can't be exclusively "gray if you get a 10 gold reward", because the fourth screenshot contradicts that.
  • It can't depend on the battlefield theme because all four above are the same one.
  • It can't be "gray if you got any kind of reward", because I've gotten quest rewards with a colorful screen (in Casual) and been defeated with no rewards with a gray screen (in Arena).
  • 1
    hmmm that's interesting. the only difference I see is that the grey versions gave you a reward (gold) EDIT: nevermind the 4th is a defeat screen... – DropDeadSander - EUW Jul 25 '18 at 12:26
  • 1
    Ok. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like if you get a reward (10G from 3 wins, quests completed, card from leveling up, ...) then the background will be grey At least that's what i noticed yesterday. – DropDeadSander - EUW Jul 26 '18 at 12:06
  • 1
    @DropDeadSander-EUW It can't be exactly that, because I just got a quest reward with a colorful background. – Kevin Reid Jul 27 '18 at 0:36
  • 1
    Another THEORY: the color changes after you finished a game you reconnected to after losing the connection. – DropDeadSander - EUW Jul 27 '18 at 7:28
  • 1
    I think it's completely random but have no evidence for this – Allball103 Aug 10 '18 at 19:52

I have conducted a small experiment. Over the last two weeks (I do play quite heavily) I have won 154 games.

54% of these I have had a colourless win-screen. The rest of these (46% have had coloured win screens).

There are no apparant factors which effect the colour..

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    "There seems to be no factors" may be better worded as "There are no apparent factors." There are definitely some inputs that are causing this output (video games are deterministic after all), they're just not apparent. – scohe001 Jan 11 '19 at 15:36
  • Thanks @scohe001 I've reworded my answer. – Jack Jones Jan 12 '19 at 17:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.