3

Looking at the Elemental Shaman mastery in World of warcraft it states that:

Your Lightning Bolt, and Chain Lightning casts have a 15.0% chance to trigger a second cast on the same target for 85% of normal damage and generates less Maelstrom.

How much Maelstrom is generated on each overload for lightning bolt and chain lightning, per target hit?

With the talent "High Voltage" that has a 50% chance of normal to proc a 3rd overload, will this give the same amount of Maelstrom?

4

I was initially under the impression that maelstrom generated from overload procs was 50% for all spells. However, I tested this on the training dummies in Dazar'alor and found this is not the case.

The following test results are from patch 8.0.1 (October 9th, 2018):

  • Lightning bolt overload and high voltage procs generate 3 maelstrom (37.5% of base).
  • Chain lightning overload and high voltage procs generate 2 maelstrom (50% of base).
  • Lava burst overload procs generate 4 maelstrom (40% of base).

The maelstrom granted is different for each spell, which explains why the mastery description is vaguely worded.

  • 1
    Ele main here, this is correct. And the High Voltage Overload gives that 50% of normal again. – SaintWacko Oct 9 '18 at 16:55
  • @SaintWacko I did some testing today and found that only chain lightning grants 50% of base. Do you see the same results I have seen in my updated answer? – Alex Myers Oct 10 '18 at 0:27
  • 1
    I've searched my combat logs and yes, only CL grants 50%. Your numbers are correct. – dly Oct 10 '18 at 9:58
  • Oh, interesting! I wonder when that changed... – SaintWacko Oct 10 '18 at 16:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.