I want to edit the assets, like the textures of the blocks, in the Minecraft .jar file. For example, I want to change the textures of bottles without using a texture pack, and directly change what Minecraft thinks the default is.
The process I've tried so far is:
- turn version.jar, in this case 1.10.jar into a .zip file
- unzip it into a folder, now just a folder called 1.10
- navigate to 1.10/assets/minecraft/textures/items/bottle.png
- edit that texture
- compress the folder back into a .zip file
- change it to a .jar file
- replace the original version.jar with mine
But when I try to launch it, Minecraft refuses to launch it. Why, and how can I edit Minecraft correctly?