I used this tutorial to build a mob grinder.
However, my grinder is not spawning any mobs at all.
A little background info:
- I built pretty much the exact same mob grinder at Y=90 with a drop to Y=63. It spawned some mobs, but not many. I also noticed that spiders tended to block the exit of the spawn room and also climbed up the walls of the tower.
- I googled a bit and found two solutions. Using half slabs to not have any spiders spawning or to make the tower wider than the exit of the spawn rom (spawn room exit 2x2 followed by the 4x4 tower). I preferred the second option as I would still like to get drops from spiders.
- So I built the tower 4x4 wide and then had to realize that suddenly no more mobs were spawning. So I googled a bit more and read about spawning behavior and everything. I figured that probably there were too many caves around and/or I was too far away from the spawn room I built.
- So I decided to follow some advice I found and build my tower higher up so that there are no spawnable areas close by. I then went up and built the exact same design at Y=200, leading through the existing spawner and dropping to Y=63.
- I also built an AFK room at Y=175 to be within 24 to 32 blocks of the spawn room, but still no further than 128 blocks of the bottom, so that mobs don't despawn along the way.
- Not in peaceful, I am playing on normal difficulty
- The spawning platform is 20x20. Does this have an impact? The lower platform is also 20x20 but at Y=90 and there is nothing spawning either.
Unfortunately, I am still not getting any mobs to spawn at all. Even after waiting about 45 minutes there are no drops in the chests or the hoppers and the spawn rooms are completely empty.
Am I missing something? I would appreciate any help you can give! I attached a few pictures for your reference. Please let me know if you need any other info.