When I first started playing BotW, whenever monsters attacked me, I engaged in battle. But soon I noticed that:
- I'm basically getting the same stuff back that I spend and break fighting them;
- Shrines contain much better loot;
- Zelda doesn't have an XP system like other RPGs;
- Monsters respawn regularly, so I can't even clear the region;
- Monsters can be a source of potion ingredients, but very soon you have enough of that for all your potion needs, ever.
Now whenever I get attacked, I just run away, or sometimes run straight through the monster camp (if that's the quickest path to where I'm going to), getting a few arrow hits but saving a lot of time.
What's the point of fighting free-roaming monsters or monster camps in BotW vs. just ignoring them? Am I missing something?