In Skyrim Special Edition (PC, Steam), I have committed no crimes at all in Markarth, have not yet met the Thieves Guild, and make sure to interact with people during merchants' business hours (8AM to 8PM). Yet, when I'm buying from merchants, cleansing the Hall of the Dead, or talking with anyone, I keep hearing "You don't belong here". The frequent alternate is "You need to leave". Huh? I'm doing that person a favor by investing in their business and/or buying product and they're telling me I don't belong there and I need to leave?
This isn't in relation to any quest. This is in relation to all interactions when I'm inside a building or room.
As a double-check, I've made sure:
- I'm disease free (by drinking a cure disease potion)
- I talked with a few guards to make sure I have no bounty.
- I haven't joined either the Stormcloak or the Imperial faction. It does get annoying after a while hearing "You don't belong here" over and over again.
- I've invested in all businesses possible and purchased goods from the merchants.
- I am not a werewolf or vampire (I haven't started the Companions quest line, and on a matter of principle, I chug cure disease potions after every encounter with vampires).
Is this another item to dump on the stack of Markarth bugs? Why am I—at this point a crime-free visitor—getting this kind of treatment?