In the hero-collector tower defense game Arknights, each Operator (unit) has a DP Cost, which can change as the unit is enhanced/developed by the player. Most Operators follow the same pattern:
- As new units, they start with some specific DP cost (let's say 16, for example)
- Promoting the unit to Elite One rank increases their DP cost by 2 (to 18, in our example)
- Increasing the unit to their maximum Potential grants two separate DP cost reductions of 1, for a total of -2 (back down to 16)
Units of at least four-star rarity can be promoted a second time to Elite Two rank, but this generally does not affect their DP Cost. Therefore, a fully maxed-out unit usually ends up with the same DP Cost as when that unit was brand new.
However, there are exceptions to the pattern. Some examples:
- Saria incurs an additional +2 to her DP Cost upon promotion to Elite Two rank, leading to a final DP Cost higher than her initial cost
- Grani benefits from three (rather than two) -1 DP Cost reductions when maximizing her Potential, leading to a final DP Cost lower than her initial cost
- Fang gains a Talent upon promotion to Elite One that reduces her DP Cost by 1, also leading to a final DP Cost lower than her initial cost
Which other Operators break from the pattern described above, and in what ways?