My situation is best described by a short timeline:
- Me living together with girlfriend, I have a Switch, she also has an account on it, and that is her primary Switch.
- She buys ACNH on her account.
- Installs and plays on my Switch, becomes Resident Representative on the island.
- I also play on the same island, and get invested.
- ...time skip...
- Relationship ends, ex-girlfriend moves away. I keep my Switch and, with her permission, keep playing the game, getting more invested.
- Now she has gained access to another Switch and wants to play there.
Well, I also want to keep playing. I presume that I will have to buy the game myself, that's no problem, but I want to keep the same island as well, if possible.
My question is: what happens if she does whatever she needs to do to start playing on another Switch, but I don't do anything to her account on my Switch.
- Will her local account be deleted? Or can I keep using it and her character to build bridges and whatnot?
- Or if I am locked out of her character, will the island remain playable so I can at least take the time to store items with a friend?
- Is there a chance that she can use the cloud backup feature to transfer the whole island, even though it's intended only for broken/lost consoles?
I don't think she has any interest in this, but it may apply to others in the same predicament.
I can't be the first person in this exact situation, so I've searched around of course, but I couldn't find an answer.
Other people have asked what happens if you delete the representative, and the answer is that it can only be done by deleting the whole island, but I don't need to delete her character for emotional reasons or anything. I'm fine just dressing up her house as a Witch's Lair and posting warning signs all over it. (just to be clear: j/k, I'm not actually calling her a witch)