With the recent release of level 40+, you'll need Candy XL to level Pokémon over level 40. How do I obtain (more) Candy XL?
Based on this guide, you can get XL Candy from various different sources. In order to obtain any XL candy from the following methods, your trainer level must be level 40 or above.
- Catching regular spawn: 0 - 3 XL Candy (unaffected by Pinap berries)
- Catching raid boss: 1 XL Candy (unaffected by Pinap berries)
Trading: 1 XL Candy (can be either both trainers or just one)
- 5km Egg: maximum 16 XL Candy
- 10km Egg: maximum 24 XL Candy
- Transfer: 1 XL Candy
- Exchange: 100 regular Candy -> 1 XL Candy
- You can do this by going into a Pokemon, viewing the options, and click on the option to exchange candy
- Based on the comments, this menu might only appear after receiving your first XL candy
When catching, transferring, or trading, receiving XL candy is not a guaranteed chance. I received 1 XL candy when transferring a Beldum, not did not receive any XL Candy when transferring 2 Gibles
Higher level Pokemon are also more likely to award XL candies, both when catching and when transferring. I recently transferred 38 Meltan and tracked my results. I received 8 XL candies from the 19 largest ones I transferred (over 300CP) and only 4 XL candies for the smallest 19. Unfortunately I didn't track my results while catching, only transferring.