This accessory is included with every Nintendo Switch that ships.

Nintendo Switch controller adapter thingy

But we never know what to call it.

Usually in our household we'll be like "can you pass me the grip thingy that the controllers dock into for single-player mode?"

That's getting a bit tiresome. Sure, we could give it our own name ("black handle Playstationy whosamawhatsit") but... I have to believe that the designers of this accessory gave it a name. And that name is probably more accurate and dignified than whatever label we might conceive of.

So, what is this thing called?


The accessory that ships with every Nintendo Switch is called the Joy-Con Grip. It's only purpose is to hold the Joy-Cons, in case you want to use them as a traditional controller. It does not charge the Joy-Cons at all. The Joy-Con Grip ships with every Nintendo Switch console (except the Switch Lite), and cannot be purchased separately.

The Joy-Con Charging Grip, meanwhile, is a separate purchase (at least for the launch Switch).

You can tell both grips apart by the fact that the Charging Grip is partially transparent: Comparison picture of the Joy-Con Grip and the Joy-Con Charging Grip Picture taken from Polygon

  • 1
    Whilst you can’t buy it separately, there are many third-party clones that look very similar. – Darren Feb 14 at 23:46
  • 4
    It's also possible to 3d print these as well. Thingiverse has a few. – Jamie M Feb 16 at 14:15

This accessory is simply called Joy-Con Grip.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.