I turn on my Nintendo Switch, open Minecraft, and I see my Hotbar items have lost their textures and are pink and black checkered, or the blocks around me are pink and black checkered and then my game crashes instantly. My game also randomly stops, so I go to the HOME menu and try to re-enter the game, and it just straight up crashes with the usual "The software was closed because an error occurred" crash handler. Does anybody know why this happens and how I can fix it? It also doesn't matter if I'm playing a pre-built world (Bought in the Minecraft shop) or a vanilla one.
There are a few easy ways you can attempt that might fix this error:
- Check for corrupted data. Sometimes files can get corrupted on the Nintendo Switch and cause severe issues. You can fix this by going Data Management in Settings and clicking "Check for Corrupted Data".
- Reboot the console. Although this may seem ridiculously simple, it can sometimes fix the worst errors that can occur.
- Make sure all apps are up to date. Sometimes bugs can occur when older software is running on a new system and vice versa. Check for updates to stop this issue from happening.
- Remove the card (or cartridge) and reinstall the game. Sometimes there are errors that aren't fixed with the above, and uninstalling the game may help with that.
- Reset your console. This is a very extreme decision, but sometimes the entire system may be corrupted. Doing this will sometimes fix the error.
Source: I found a lot of this information from here and from my own experience.