I've been playing on my brother's Steam account for a long time and it's about time I should get my own Steam account now, but looking up the Family Share it keeps saying that everyone will have their own save files. So is it possible that I can have my old save files from my brother's account to my new one? Or do I have to restart all of my games from the beginning?
While I'm unsure whether it's possible to directly transfer one steam cloud to another, it's possible to do so in your local files.
There are two occasions where the steam cloud synchronizes with the local files on the computer:
- Whenever a game is launched, the steam cloud is downloaded so that the local files are up to date with any other systems you've played on
- Whenever a game is closed, the local files are uploaded into the steam cloud so that other systems will be able to access the new saves you created.
In short, if you want to transfer the save data from your brother's account into yours, here's what you should do:
- Find where the saves are stored for his account on your computer, this can vary a lot between games.
- Copy those files to where saves are stored for your account
- The next time you launch and close that game with your account, those files will be uploaded into your steam account.