After defeating the Wall of Flesh, corruption is spreading much faster and bypasses sunflowers. Are there any other methods of halting it than hallowing?
I believe a Hallowed Biome will prevent them from spreading. These can be created by planting Hallowed Seeds, which are gained by smashing a Demon Altar with a PwnHammer.
Edit: I've discovered I was mistaken about how to get Hallowed Seeds. You don't directly get them from the Demon Altar, but instead buy them from the Dryad after smashing the altar.
You just gotta make sure the Corruption is contained (i.e., has nothing to spread to). Any Corrupted block can spread via these blocks:
- Exposed Dirt and Grass
- Jungle Grass
Additionally, it can jump up to three blocks (that is, clear 2-wide gaps). Therefore, digging a trench lined with incorruptible materials should stop it. However, preserving the natural biome isn't very practical in the long run, for several reasons:
- The Corruption can spread underground via the abundant Stone, and possibly tunnel under your trenches and corrupt everything in a heartbeat.
- Corrupted grass can develop thorns, which could reach across your trenches and start corrupting.
Creating a Hallowed biome really is your best bet against the Corruption. It spreads just like the Corruption, but they cancel each other out. Corrupt blocks will not infect hallowed ones and vice versa.
It's still rather dangerous to be in, but I believe it is the lesser of two evils.
Neither Corruption or Crimson can get past a mushroom biome. If you have a jungle nearby that you want to preserve, purchase some dark blue solution from the shroomite, dig a hole down to the underworld, and line both sides with the dark blue solution using the clentaminator. mushroom biomes don't spread, so it acts as a static wall between your jungle and the corruption/crimson.
I've found that simply keeping a clentaminator with me at all times is the best way to go about getting items; if I need a specific biome, I simply create one right around me. I most commonly use this when I need a pure (non hallow non corrupt) underground area.
Depending on what you need, you can stop Corruption with the following methods:
- If you need to keep corruption away from your housing, you could 'dome' the house with a non-corruptible material such as Clay, Glass, any ores, bricks, etc. Note, though, that your dome must be 4 blocks across or corruption can go to the other side.
- If you need a quick temporary fix, you Can buy a lot of Purification Powder from the Dryad and purify your corruption, which will slow it.
- If you want to somewhat cheat, I think Tshock has the ability to convert corruption to normal blocks.
- If you have access to the Steampunker you can buy the Clentaminator and Green Solution. However, this is very expensive and requires you to defeat a Hardmode Boss to spawn the Steampunker.
If you play on an Xbox or PlayStation, you can make a wall of dirt separating the corruption/crimson from the forest and plant Hallowed seeds. The hallow will eventually take over the corruption/crimson. Although the hallow is very dangerous as well as the corruption and crimson, it's a way to make your world less evil.