Recently, I got introduced to the Immersive Sim genre. I had a great time, and it is one of my favorite genres. In addition, I had watched videos and done research on what defines an immersive sim, and it started to make me think about previous games I had played, mainly Assassin's Creed 1. As I replay it, I started to realize elements of an immersive sim within it, including, but not limited to:
- Levels that are not linear
- Multiple ways to achieve the goal
- The player is given an array of different tools (sword, dagger, knives, and the famous hidden blade)
- The world is all simulated
- The different ways to try and gain information on the target
After this, it started to make me think, Isn't the first Assassin's Creed game technically just an immersive sim that has an open world map? This may seem just like a random thought, but has anyone else ever thought about it like that?