I'm grabbing lots of seemingly trivial objects like cutlery, ropes, tongs and cups. Do they serve any purpose other than dumping them on traders?
In some rare occasions you do need specific items:
- A shovel is quite useful, as you will discover early on.
- Certain items can be used to play with your pets, should you happen to pick some of those up along the way ("roleplay"/fun effect only).
- Certain plain, unenchanted weapons can be used in crafting during act 1.
- You can give certain specific items as a gift to a special someone (a dialogue will trigger when you find one and have the option).
- Smoke-powder items, wine kegs, water kegs etc have certain uses mainly in combat.
- A lot of somewhat unexpected items can be used as camp supplies, but in that case they will say so if you examine them.