I have ran around this game world for 100+ hours and I have never seen raw glass. Am I missing it? Or is there something special that happens when I take the skill to craft glass? I have not taken it because I have never seen glass.
Malachite Ore can be found:
- 7 veins in Steamscorch Mine, directly Northeast of Kynesgrove.
- 2 veins (along with 2 Ebony Ore veins) at the top of Throat of the World.
- 4 at Labyrinthian Thoroughfare (Hjaalmarch)
- 3 at Labyrinthian, Tribune
- 2 centered at 150 ft NE of Kynesgrove
- 1 at The Brinehammer Below Deck (The Pale)
Refined Malachite can be found:
- 3 centered at 180 ft NE of Kynesgrove
- 2 at Swindler's Den (Whiterun Hold)
- 1 at Saarthal Excavation (Winterhold)
- 1 at Understone Keep (Markarth)
- Sold by blacksmiths and general goods merchants starting at level 18 (20?)
I assume you're referring to the Glass Smithing perk in the Smithing tree.
While I haven't taken that perk myself, according to UESPWiki, none of the glass pieces take glass as a raw material. They all tend to take some combination of leather, leather strips, malachite, and moonstone.
No. The actual 360 version says nothing about making just glass. Glass weapons and armor can be made from refined malachite, but there is no glass with which to make furniture from. In the hearthfire DLC, the work bench asks for glass to build items for your house, but none of the forgible or smelting options are just glass. Even though there are thousands of items to loot and buy, there is no glass.