Now, in Spiral Knights, fighting your way through a set of boss levels will normally give you three boss tokens as a reward for your hard work. However, occasionally the system will decide to be generous and give you 4 tokens instead. Considering running boss levels isn't exactly a quick thing, I'd like to obtain this 4-token reward as much as possible, except I can't figure out what triggers it. So, does anyone have any idea how to ensure you gain 4 tokens from the boss level?

Things I know do NOT determine it:

1)Running the boss solo (I do this all the time)

2)Completing the entire level set without dying (I've done this and not gotten 4 tokens, and the last time I got 4 tokens I had to revive once.)

3)Doing the boss levels via the clockworks rather than the mission screen (As far as I can tell, it makes no difference, aside from the initial 1-token bonus you get when you clear the relative mission for the first time.)

  • Whatever the trigger, I've never got 4 tokens from single run, ever. Apr 28 '12 at 0:00

The 4th token seems to be random.

I have yet to find official word on this matter, but multiple users have documented experiences which indicate that:

  • Walking through the token before it falls = 0 tokens
  • Completing 1 depth and the boss = 1 token
  • Completing 2 depths and the boss = 2 tokens
  • Completing 3 depths and the boss = 3 tokens
  • There is a random chance to get an additional token no matter where you join.
  • I've also got 1 token for doing all levels except 1, and once I got 3 tokens for only doing one level.... And if you walk through the token too soon and don't get any, you can just walk back to it and you'll get them. :) Apr 29 '12 at 16:30

As far as most have been able to determine, it is simply random.


It's completely random. I think it's a 65% chance for 3, a 25% chance for 4, and 10% for 5.

  • 2
    Do you have a source on this, or is it just conjecture?
    – Schism
    Oct 12 '12 at 0:26
  • "Completely random" would mean that there is no percentage based chance. I would assume conjecture, as such.
    – Domocus
    Oct 12 '12 at 17:46

Well it depends what level u join in. Depth 1 = 1 Depth 2 = 2 Depth 3 = 3

But if you escaped the mission and joining back again you get 1 or 2.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.