I have a 15" TV and a 24" HD LCD flat screen monitor. I have a Wii, which is currently hooked up to the smaller TV.

Is there anything I can do to play my wii on the flatscreen? The monitor is HDMI and DVI-compatible.

And yes, I realize that I won't get HD graphics from the Wii. I just want the larger screen.


You can do it, but it's not terribly cheap. You need something like this:


The plug in the first answer won't get you there; it's for specific video cards that are capable of putting out component analog signals on particular pins on the DVI connector. You can't turn component video into DVI or HDMI with a passive adapter, since you have to convert the image from analog to digital.

Edit: if your monitor takes only digital and won't take analog VGA on some of the DVI pins, I don't think the Wii -> VGA -> DVI adapter route is going to help you either. There are VGA -> DVI converter boxes like the one above that take in analog VGA and put out digital DVI, but the ones I know of are super-expensive since they can handle much higher resolutions than your Wii's going to put out.


There are currently two Wii->HDMI adapters:

Neoya Wii2HDMI: http://www.neoya.com/shop/wii2hdmi/

Vdigi VD-W3: http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&product_id=21&aff_id=3&textad_id=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

There are also a "generic" Component->HDMI adapter like this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29772

The Wii2HDMI is IMO the best option. It's much smaller than the other options, and it does not require any external power supply. I already own one, and can vouch it works perfectly.

Important: The Wii2HDMI does not perform any upscaling of the signal, so your monitor/TV will be receiving a 480i/480p signal, and not all support these. Remember to check this before making your purchase.


I don't think there's a Wii to HDMI adaptor, but I do know of a Wii to VGA adaptor

That should get you up and running for video at least. You'll need to find a way to run the audio into your speakers (But an RCA to 1/8" in adaptor will get you there)


Sorry misread your post, but you can use the cable listed above, and a VGA to DVI adaptor (which usually comes with video cards, or can be picked up for a couple of bucks.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.