Can I use a game controller with Diablo 3? Since there are not that many keys that are actually used, can you map a controller to play? Or would this require some type of mod?
Not within the game, no you cannot use a game controller to play. Diablo 3 on PC is intended to be played with Mouse & Keyboard.
Using an external program / mod to add this capability not a good idea, as it is most certainly against the EULA. Using external things to change the game experience is a potentially bannable offense.
Edit many moons later: section 2-2 of the EULA (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_eula.html) is pretty all-encompassing about what you agreed you will not do:
I would personally categorize a system to use a GamePad without going through the game itself to be something that is "designed to modify the Game experience."
Diablo 3 is now playable on consoles, which obviously use GamePads to great effect, but the game mechanics are subtly different to compensate (for example, on consoles there's a dedicated dodge mechanic). I'm not sure why they never got around to enabling GamePads on the PC version, though.
Yes, but you'll need to remap some of the keys. Good controllers have keymapping or dynamic key binding so you can do it in the game. Otherwise you will have to manually remap the keys in D3 through the options page.
I use a Logitech G13 game pad to play and it makes it so much easier. I especially like 1-click login thanks to dynamic key binding. Highly recommend it!
No, it is not possible and here are the reasons:
- Currently it is not possible to use keys (WSAD or controller) for movement. You have to use a mouse.
- Some skills use the cursor as the center of their effect (e.g. Wizard: Blizzard), so you need to position is correctly very fast.
- A controller is not fast enough with this kind of precision, especially in Inferno you will be doomed without a mouse.
- Blizzard follows a strict no third party tool policy, so remapping keys with some kind of application (e.g. xpadder) might get you banned.
- There is no "controller" interface implementation for the inventory and other parts of the game.
Currently the best thing you could hope for is some kind of mouse emulation for your controller.
I am very skeptical that Diablo 3 will ever allow controllers, as the whole UI would need to change and the difficulty has to be reduced.
I'd grab a USB controller and map 1-4 to ABXY and mouse buttons to trigger buttons. As long as the controller doesn't install any macro software, I can't imagine anyone getting banned for using it. Analog stick sensitivity would be another issue. You'll either be a sloth on the battle field or a Parkinson's victim -- I'd stick with the mouse and keyboard.
Bonus third option: Nostromo game pad?