I'm playing Dragon Quest IX, and I'm at the part where I just got the boat. What is the fastest way to make a bunch of money? I need about 10,000 to buy the best equipment and grinding takes a really long time when you only get a few hundred per enemy.
Early on the game, the best technique is to fight the highest level monsters that you have access to.
Here are some more techniques:
- Gold Golems, which you can find in the ditch south of Gleeba, drop 505 gold each.
- Use Alchemy to make Ear Cosys (Fur Hood + Bunny Tail + Lambswool) and sell them. You can buy the ingredients at Slurry Quay (Fur Hood), Porth Llaffan (Bunny Tail) and Batsureg (Bunny Tail).
- Use Alchemy to make Gold Mails (Silver Mail + Gold Ring + Gold Bracer) and sell them. You can buy the ingredients at Bloomingdale (Silver Mail) and Porth Llaffan (Gold Ring and Gold Bracer).
- In mid level (Copper, Bronze, Steel, Silver, and Gold) Cave and Ruin grottoes, you might find Gem Jamborees - these are worth 1130 gold each, and drop Gleeban Gold Pieces or Gold Bars.
- In high level (Platinum, Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire or Diamond) Ice (Snowhall, Tundra, Glacier) and Ruin (Crypt, Ruins, Path, Maze, Lair, World) grottoes, you might find Gem Slimes - these are worth 10080 gold each.
(Most of these techniques require finishing certain points of the game.)