Some areas in TF2 are just horrid to attack. Two come to mind: Egypt, fourth point and Junction, last point. This question is about the latter.
There are five ways to approach the point from and they all suck. Let's take a look at the map from top-bottom:
Please forgive my greek. You can:
- Approach from point B, going straight down the stairs. This path sucks because:
- Point α is a great spy area to shut down your big pushes
- Sentries built on point β, as well as enemies covering that corner, have the height advantage on you as you approach the point and the railings become an effective shield from most explosives.
- Point γ is a very popular and hidden spot for dispensers and, if neglected (a successful uber would probably push straight for C!) allows the red engineers to quickly redeploy β.
- Red can effectively push through these stairs en-masse and shut down everything an engineer can build in the room η. Should they succeed, Red can pour all the way down to the Blu spawn; yes, this does open a small window of opportunity for overextension, but back-capping point C (12 seconds at ×1, 8 at ×2) is quite the feat.
- Approach from point B, but through the window ("B/C flank") facing straight from the point. This is an effective solution to snipe sentries built on point δ, but it still sucks because:
- It is very easy for pyros to detonator-jump on point ε and negate ubers.
- Corridor ζ is very very easy to spam.
- While you are on level with point β, the railing is still in the way.
- From point A, go all the way down the corridor to C to the farthest door. This approach sucks for all the reasons approach #1 sucks, but even more as the stairs to C are upwards making it even harder to attack sentries in point θ (the mirror position of β), as well as making it super easy to rain spam down the corridor.
- From point A go straight to C through the nearest door. This sucks like #3 except without the stairs and without obvious ways for engineers to support their team on the way through. I've tried building on A, but this requires teammates to either crouch jump over point the point's railings or walk all the way around it. Neither works well.
- This is a little bit obscure: set up shop on the corridor between B and A ("A/C flank") and attack from there. It's got an obvious place for a teleporter and a dispenser (what about the sentry though?) and the angled approach can make edging sentries on θ slightly more easier, but also opens up from pyro flanks. Additionally a spy can easily use path 4 backwards to sap all your stuff, a process that's harder for a nest on path 1.
So, all the options for Blu suck and as a result all games seem to end on a score of 2-2. Or is it just the server I frequent? What is the key to break down Junction?