I play a Demonhunter and use the Sharpshooter ability which increases my critical hit chance by 3% every second. Usually when I compare weapons it is maxed out at 100% critical hit chance (30 seconds charge required) and I have about 65k DPS, but if I disable the ability its only 25k.
Here are the problems I have encountered:
- Critical hit chance increased does not matter in a comparison, as it is already 100%
- I do not really have 65k as this would require me to crit on every hit but my next guaranteed crit is after 30 seconds, as my base critical hit chance is about 9%.
- Sometimes I have items that have higher DPS with Sharpshooter enabled compared to another item, but if I disable the ability the later is better (Which should I choose).
- Sometimes people say you need X DPS for some boss (e.g. 20k DPS for Butcher) how do I know if I really have the required DPS? I make more DPS than the value with Sharpshooter disabled and less than the displayed DPS.
Obviously it is very hard to calculate my real DPS as the calculation would be something like this. This does not "reset" the counter as Sharpshooter does:
(65k * 1 + 65k * 0.09 + 20k * 0.91 + ... + 65k * 0.909 + 20k * 0.091) / ((100 - 9) / 3)
- 65k is my max DPS
- 20k is DPS without crit (0%)
- 100 - 9 = 91% critical chance that increases every second in increments of 3 (about 30 seconds)
And even this is not completely accurate as I shoot about 5 shots and run away. During this time my critical hit chance increases.
So here is the question again:
What DPS value is more important for me while comparing items:
- DPS with Sharpshooter enabled
- DPS with Sharpshooter diabled
- Some custom calculation