I'm interested in knowing whether peaceful mobs spawn in the same location every time in Minecraft for a given map seed. When I was playing on the "Glacier" seed on a singleplayer world, I found a pack of wolves that spawned inside a cave where I could tame them easily. Will they spawn like this every time on this particular seed, or is the spawning of peaceful mobs simply random and unpredictable?
They are completely random, however peaceful mobs DO have a higher chance to spawn in specific biomes.
- Pigs: Mostly in Plains and Swamps
- Sheep: Mostly in Plains and Mountains
- Cows: Several biomes, but commonly in forests
- Wolves: Mostly in Forests and Taigas (snowy forest)
- Chickens: Several biomes, but mostly in plains