I've drained about 500 of my precious in game currency trying to beat the Innkeeper of the Inn in the Homestead area for an achievement. Is there a trick to beating this guy? He is like the Six Men's Morris world champion or something and has already caused me so much rage.
- Play first
- Place your first two pieces on the middle square at the top left and bottom right corners
- Switch to blocking the opponent from getting 3 in a row (a 'mill') for a couple of moves
- When you get a free move (i.e. you don't have to block) try to make a mill (line of 3)
- During steps 3 and 4 keep blocking/moving with a view to getting two mills that you can move between.
- Don't lose any pieces.
- If you get to a place where you can keep moving to complete a mill (ideally between two) you can use it to mop up all his pieces.
- You can break a mill and then re-complete it in two moves - if your opponent is more than 2 moves away from completing a mill you can use this to stop him too.
Here's a winning set up:
The top middle white piece can move up and down between two mills - at this point they can keep repeating to remove all black's pieces.
Here is a video with more detail.
Just got it for the first time after like an hour. You have to play second, get it so that you end up 3 chips each with it being your turn, move your middle chip in the row you made to an adjacent corner. When he moves, create a row by moving one of the outside chips to the row he did not block.