I've been playing World of Tanks for a little while now and have got to the KV-1 which, now that I have the top gun, seems to be miles ahead of every other tank I've played. Is this what people call the 'Russian Bias'? Are the higher Russian tanks as good as the KV-1 or is this the best it gets?
Win rates don't tell the whole story. As you've seen there are certain tanks which are pretty much overpowered, or rather there are certain tanks which play the way you'd like them to while everything is is pretty much sub par.
Each nation of tanks tends to have certain strengths:
- American tanks tend to be fast, have well armoured turrets, and be accurate with a good rate of fire but low damage
- German tanks tend to be the most accurate but lack in penetration and damage
- English tanks tend to be either fast and poorly armoured or slow and reasonable well armourd with very high rate of fire guns but do very little damage
- French tanks have great guns but lousy armour. Also their low tier tanks are rubbish and their high tier tanks are good
- Russian tanks have fast, well armoured tanks with big slow guns that have good penetration
While that sounds like a pretty balanced set of tanks the game design tends to favour certain aspects over others:
- Due to the mechanics of the penetration system slope of armour is as important as thickness. Almost all Russian tanks have good sloped armour whereas only some tanks, mostly higher tier from the other nations have good sloped armour
- Due to the size of the maps (500m x 500m) tanks that are short range brawlers do better than sniping tanks. Most Russian tanks are brawlers rather than snipers whereas the other nations tend to have tanks better suited to sniping
- Most fighting between tanks is around hard cover using a peekaboo technique. Tanks with a slow rate of fire and high damage are preferable. Most Russian tanks have a low rate of fire with high damage whereas most other nations have a high rate of fire with lower damage
- You gain experience and credits mostly via damage done. Tanks that do more damage per shot are better for this. Again Russian tanks favour this aspect
- There are a number of factors that are have no representation within the game like the comfort of tanks, quality of crew training, reliability, communications, quality of materials, and so on. This tends to favour the Russian tanks as well
So, put simply, there is no obvious Russian bias, but adding together many small factors does show that Russian tanks are the best suited to the game design overall.
No, it does not have a Russian bias. The reason behind the claim of a Russian bias is that the developer of world of tanks is a company from Belarus.
However, when looking at the statistics of wins vs losses per country, it's clear that Russian tanks do not in general out perform tanks from other countries.
The winratio per country is currently:
- China: 51.06%
- France: 50.01%
- UK: 49.39%
- USA: 49.29%
- Germany: 49.22%
- USSR: 49.06%
(The reason for the high China winratio, is that the China tree only has premium vehicles which tend to perform better then their regular tier counterparts)
Of course there are individual tanks that outperform their foreign counter parts, but the numbers show no overall bias in favor of Russian tanks, the KV-1 is very good in its class, but for example still out performed by the English Churchill.
Yes it DOES have a Russian bias:
- The Russian tanks better suited to the short range brawling system of the 500x500 maps.
- Sniping in WOT is a waste of time.
- Check out the latest updates , they tend to nerf German tanks pretty often.
- If there are people with >3 kills per game they 80% have a Russian tank.