I am building a game and would like to reuse a song from the Portal 2 soundtrack.

But while it's free as in free beer, I can find no information on licensing.

What are the licensing terms for reuse of the music?

closed as off topic by murgatroid99, Wipqozn, Ash, Invader Skoodge, Ullallulloo Dec 13 '12 at 22:26

Questions on Arqade are expected to relate to gaming within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • As @murgatroid99 stated in your meta question, this question is off-topic for Arqade. Due to this I'm voting to close. – Wipqozn Dec 13 '12 at 22:24
  • No worries, thanks for linking to the meta question as explanation. I'll try to avoid off-topic questions in future. – agryson Dec 13 '12 at 22:56
  • I think this question belongs better in gamedev.stackexchange.com – Jonas Söderström Dec 18 '12 at 7:49
  • Agreed, this is very gamedev. Is it possible for a mod to migrate this? – deworde Dec 30 '12 at 12:07

Its under copyright and they do not have any posted licensing terms, so unless you have a reason to claim 'fair use' there are no licensing terms.

If you want to license the music and include it in your game, you are going to have to contact valve. http://www.valvesoftware.com/contact/

  • 2
    Hmm... the project would not rely on the music to function, so I suppose fair use would be a bit of a stretch. I'll contact Valve. Thanks for the quick answer. – agryson Dec 13 '12 at 21:01
  • 1
    @agryson Being necessary for your project wouldn't make it fair use anyway. It has to be commentary, parody, satire, reporting… that sort of thing. – SevenSidedDie Dec 13 '12 at 21:26
  • 1
    True, I mean to say artistically, the music is not the focus of my work, thus I'm not really adding anything to it or commenting on it in any way... the use is a licensable use because I'm just saving myself time and creative effort for which the original author can fairly expect recompense and using it without licensing would thus be 'unfair'. But thanks for articulating it better! :-D – agryson Dec 13 '12 at 21:52
  • @agryson Aha, I understand now! Yes, that. :) – SevenSidedDie Dec 13 '12 at 23:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.