Questions about game controllers (which, unlike the more generic peripherals, are used to control games).
Controllers come in all shapes and sizes. There are the official controllers for a console and there are also 3rd party controllers for some consoles. Some consoles (like the Wii) have controllers that can be extended and enhanced (nunchuck, motion plus, classic controller).
- Game Pad
- Keyboard and mouse
- Light gun
- Steering wheel and pedals
- Musical instrument inputs, such as music keyboards
- Virtual reality gloves
Use this tag for questions that specifically relate to controller usage, installation, configuration, support, or modification. For example,
- How to set up controllers in typical scenarios
- How to set up controllers in nonstandard or cross-platform scenarios, such as how or whether one can use a PlayStation 4 controller on XBox 360 or how to configure Nintendo JoyCon controllers for a PC
- Controllers in a retrocomputing context, such as using original XBox controllers on XBox One or XBox One controllers on the original XBox
- Troubleshooting or maintenance issues with controllers, such as drifting joysticks, broken buttons, rumble packs that don't, or error messages
- How to remap keys or sticks on controllers, such as southpaw mode
- How and whether one can play specific games with controllers atypical for a game of their genre, such as playing a platformer with a light gun or an RPG with a steering wheel
Standard computer input devices such as keyboards, mice, and trackballs are only on-topic when they relate to gaming. For example, asking how to connect a Macintosh keyboard to a PlayStation 4 and use it to play Sonic Forces is on-topic. Asking how to fix a broken key on a Macintosh keyboard is off-topic here but may be on-topic on Super User.