A fantasy MMORPG developed by Blizzard Entertainment. It is the fourth game set in the Warcraft universe, and features an expansive world in which players choose a faction and character race, and can perform quests, craft and collect items to outfit their characters, kill enemies, and participate in player-versus-player (PvP) combat.
World of Warcraft (WoW) is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) with a fantasy setting, and the first MMORPG developed and released by Blizzard Entertainment.
It takes place in the same universe as Blizzard's Warcraft real-time strategy (RTS) games, approximately 4 years after the end of Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne.
- Release dates: November 23, 2004 (USA/Aus) February 11, 2005 (EU)
- Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
- Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
- Available on: windows, os-x
- Expansions: The Burning Crusade (2007), Wrath of the Lich King (2008), Cataclysm (2010), Mists of Pandaria (2012), Warlords of Draenor (2014), Legion (2016), Battle for Azeroth (2018)
Include these tags if your question is about the Warcraft series in general, or about the battle.NET services regarding WoW:
Players choose a race/class combination to fill the role of a healer, damage dealer, or damage taker (also know as a 'tank'). Progression is made through performing missions (known in-game as quests), killing enemies, and participating in player-versus-player (PvP) combat. End-game activities typically center around large-scale PvP combat in battlegrounds, large-scale dungeon runs (known in-game as 'raids'), or playing the game to accomplish personal goals such as gaining achievements or crafting rare items.
Players must choose between the opposing factions of the Alliance or the Horde. Characters from opposing factions can perform rudimentary communication (most often just "emotes"), but only members of the same faction can speak, mail, group, and join guilds.
Neutral Races (Can choose between Horde or Alliance)
Allied Races (Allies of a faction, playable after unlocking them)
- Highmountain Tauren (Tauren from Highmountain)
- Nightborne (Nightelves from Suramar)
- Mag'har Orcs (Orcs from Nagrand)
- Zandalari (Trolls from Zandalar)
- Lightforged Draenei (Draenei from Argus)
- Void Elves (exiled Blood Elves from Telogrus)
- Dark Iron Dwarves (Dwarves from Blackrock Mountain)
- Kul Tiran (Humans from Kul Tiras)