What are the advantages/disadvantages making a minecraft house built out of wooden planks?
Wood is quicker to obtain than cobblestone, as you get 4 wooden planks for each wood block.
Wood can be farmed (more easily than cobblestone can be), meaning you don't need to destroy the landscape to build your house.
Transported as logs rather than planks, you can carry a lot more in you inventory (as you can 'expand' the logs into planks as you need them.
Wood fits better with bookcases, chests etc. to give a more homely aesthetic.
Fire caused by lightning
Creeper explosions will do more damage
Fire caused by lava, expected or otherwise
Farming trees can be tedious, especially if you have to spend extra time removing the branches from large trees
Fire caused by your own flint and steel in a moment of carelessness
- Planks are renewable, as trees are a limitless source. Cobblestone will eventually run out (unless you use lava flows, but that could be dangerous).
- Much easier to construct and bulldoze. You get 4 planks for each trunk of wood, and with any axe trees go down a lot faster than stone. You can even break it unarmed to save tool uses if you're not in a rush, whereas with stone, you don't get anything.
- It matches bookcases, fences, and some other decorative objects better.
- If you completely run out of planks and need something in a jiffy, you can just pop a hole in your house and use the wood from it.
- It's easy to destroy; either by fire or creeper blasts.
- You generally won't end up with piles upon piles of planks just by doing mining, whereas with cobblestone you'll likely be overflowing in it.
- You have to plant trees to get more wood for building. This might not be such a big deal if you're harvesting them to get wood for tools, though.
Personally, I find wood buildings to be more eye-pleasing, but that's pretty subjective. Cobblestone, especially in the default skin, is pretty busy looking.
I'm no expert, but there are a few fairly obvious points to start:
Planks are more easily destroyed by creeper explosions than (for example) cobblestone.
Planks can catch fire and are consumed, which isn't true of some other materials.
Cobblestone is readily available in practically unlimited quantities, whereas wood for planks is less common and requires a little crafting--so it's a less efficient use of your time.
One advantage is that you'll probably get sick of seeing nothing but stone buildings after a short while, so a plank structure will look nicer in comparison.
The one thing no one has mentioned yet is the fact that wood buttons produce a slightly longer pulse. This does't matter unless you are going for a precise timing. Most redstone contraptions however will be fine with either stone or wood.