I bought the CD of Civilization 5 and when I tried installing it, it says it has to download 2.8 GB from Steam. How do I avoid this and just download directly of the disc?
- Log in to Steam and click on Library
- Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm (note: if not visible, ignore and proceed to next step)
- Insert the first disc into your computer
- Close Steam (Steam > Exit)
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type (note: Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct, and replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location):
"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:
Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.
As mentioned in another answer, you will likely still have to download additional patches, updates, and so forth. Hopefully this saves some time.