I've been experimenting with making a separate "prison unit" for each inmate type (Minimum Security, Medium Security, Max Security, Protective Custody, etc.). I am trying to make each prison unit to be as independent of the others as possible so that they don't mix. To this end, I am giving each prison unit its own of each of the following rooms (listed roughly in descending order of importance to me):
- Cell block (or more than one for larger population groups)
- Common Room
- Holding Cell
- Staff Room
- Psychologist's Office or two.
I have noticed that certain rooms get buggy when there is more than one of them. In particular, the following rooms have some issues.
- Holding Cell: complains that a 5x7 room doesn't meet the 5x5 minimum size requirement.
- Security: Some objects (e.g. Office Desk) get dropped off in a box (though it looks like an Office Desk--the sprite is a desk rather than a box), but doesn't install it, for a while.
- Reception areas also seem to never be big enough if there are more than one. (Not sure why you'd want more than one, but the point stands.)
I've had some other issues when building Parole rooms and Common Rooms, but they've usually gone away after a while.
I realize that the game is still in alpha, but since there are so many bugs (most of which are minor or easily avoided), it's hard for me to know what's a bug and what's a poorly-understood feature.